A Mother and her Two Daughters

17 August 2010

Flying Hats: Welcome Back Hair


"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big HAT. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"    - Dr. Seuss (with some liberties . . . )


Things are looking up, and hats are flying off! 

The hair on my body is returning – on my head, eyebrows and eyelashes!  Last week I was even able to locate enough eyelashes to hold a little bit of mascara.  And I’ve shaved my legs THREE TIMES since surgery!!  Who in the world would ever think you might celebrate such a silly thing.  But this is a full-fledge hair party for me!

It’s no secret that hair loss during chemotherapy can be devastating.  The reality of cancer is tough enough, but the next step is facing the realities and side effects of the blessed chemo cocktail.  It is much to deal with in a short period of time.  

I can remember 5 months ago, the clumps of hair falling from my head, and Beth coming over to cut my hair off.  This is what some say brings a feeling of "chemo control."  Quite honestly, I just felt bald.  

In the beginning of this chemo journey, the hats became my costume-of-sorts to hide my naked mole rat disguise.  But for the past several months, beautiful hats became my only fashion statement. I’ve grown a bit attached to all my beautiful hats, most of them gifts from lovely friends.  To remove them from my head was a little scary, a bit like losing a close and protective friend.    

Getting back to normal has been a transition of its own, even though the transition continues. 

Next Friday I will have more surgery, this time for reconstructive purposes.  And after that, we’ll begin six weeks of radiation therapy.  I have three appointments at UAMS over the next three days – with the oncologist, the radiologist and the surgeon.  By Thursday afternoon, I should know more about the schedule ahead. 

P.S.  A week ago Friday, Tim and I enjoyed a birthday dinner with friends, also attended by our Governor.  When my Governor tells me that I shouldn’t wear a hat anymore, that I look strong and healthy the way I am – well, I took it as an Executive Order and I haven’t worn a hat on my head since.  So, here’s a photo of me taken this Saturday celebrating the wedding of friends.  No hat, and feeling good.  There's a ponytail in my future.  


2 comments:

  1. If I can't wear a cap to church and to dinner, why should you? You look great, can I borrow the blue hat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look very stylish and lovely!

    ReplyDelete

 
Web Statistics