A Mother and her Two Daughters

18 July 2010

‘Twas The Night Before Surgery . . .

What a weekend!   Tim had read a story in this week’s Arkansas Times about the south Little Rock taco trucks - mobile taquerias found off the streets in parking lots, with Mexican fare made right before your eyes.  It’s a real kick, a new twist on a dinner date.

Saturday began with a trip to Petit Jean Mountain to visit our friend Gerry and for the Arkansas Bountiful Festival, a celebration of Arkansas’ natural agricultural resources.  The highlight was the tomato tasting.  For those who worship the Arkansas tomato, this is the time to discover what type is really your favorite. We then drove down the mountain to the lovely town of Oppelo to enjoy our favorite cheeseburger at the Fina gas station.  Tim honestly believes that each burger takes 2 to 3 years off your life.  What we had not noticed before in this lovely little store is the tanning bed off a back room.  What more could you ask for – a fill-up of gas, a decadent cheeseburger and a suntan in 15 minutes. The day ended at the Jefferson-Jackson Dinner with James Carville as the guest speaker.  WOW!  That’s all I can say.

Sunday was spent at church, hanging out with Anna-Lee, visiting with friends, house chores and dinner at The Red Door.  I don’t think these encounters are accidents – like when you run into your friend Nancy at the restaurant.  Nancy just celebrated her successful mastectomy eleven years ago on July 15.  She was the perfect friend to run into tonight, to give me a real sense of ease.  She is a beautiful woman with a smile on her face and a sparkle in her eye – the perfect role model for someone like me.  Thank you Nancy!

******************

Tomorrow is another big day.  It’s been five months since my diagnosis, and on that day I was told this surgery would be in my future.  It’s finally here and this is good. 

I’m confident that all will go well under the direction of the very brilliant Dr. Suzanne Klimberg. With thousands and thousands of women going through this surgery each year, this has unfortunately become a rather routine procedure. 

As for my mental state, I’m doing just fine. Honestly, I feel certain that enduring four months of chemotherapy, with all of its’ many side effects, has been the toughest part of this cancer journey.  Not only is this surgery necessary, I look at it two ways:  (1) surgery is the most expeditious way to rid my body of this very nasty cancer tissue, and (2) this is hopefully my ticket to no more chemotherapy. 

If you say a prayer in the morning, please ask God to give medical researchers the wisdom to find a cure for cancer, to heal us all.  I continue to be hopeful that one day soon we will witness the cure for cancer.  What a glorious day that will be. 


2 comments:

  1. Boy - your family is SOOO in trouble for not updating your blog or FB for you. I am on pins and needles. Finally gave up after 20 minutes on hold tonight at UAMS to try to track you down.

    I said extra prayers last night and this morning. I know you sailed through this just fine. But in the future - give Tim your password to update!!! Thinking and praying. Love ya Sista!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping you in thought and prayer long distance, from the corner of heaven known as Sewanee Writers' Conference. So happy to read Georgia's post this morning. Sending all best wishes for rapid and thorough healing. Peace & comfort!

    ReplyDelete

 
Web Statistics